Possible way to avoid unknown IIS vulnerabilities

From: Mark A Lewis (markat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 23:31:10 PDT

  • Next message: Dave Dittrich: ""Power" bot (was Re: NEW DEVELOPMENT -- Attempts at using CodeRed II systems to perform Denial of Service Attacks and Possible Attacking Tool)"

    While poking around in my logs following Code Red I started noticing that
    there were no entries indicating any attempts. Not fully believing this I
    went ahead and got Snort back up and running and waited 10 min and I already
    had 17 hits. After thinking a bit I came to the conclusion that the cause
    for this is host headers. Now, how this applies to future vulnerabilities is
    this: most of these script based attacks generate random IPs, so if you use
    host headers even if only one site is present it would require a name to
    tell the web server which dir to send the request to. Not sure how effective
    this would be against Unicode type exploits, but I feel it would have helped
    with CR. Should be able to accomplish the same thing with Apache too.....
    Any thoughts or experiences?