Re: What the *** is this

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 15:00:41 PDT

    Steve Halligan <agent33at_private> wrote:

    > Check this out.  Is this media nonsense, or is there really something to it?
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6835996.html

    Consensus among my contacts with good Korean contacts is that it is
    the former.  There is no "CodeRed III" though some people used that
    name, or "CodeRed [v]3", to prevent confusion with the use of various
    forms of "version 2" when the second CodeRed variant (the one with
    the fixed PRNG) was found.  Antivirus people still have lots of
    naming issues, but we have been dealing with these kinds of issues
    for years.

    As it stands now, there are three CodeRed variants (or two if think
    the last one is not a CodeRed variant).

    CodeRed.A (aliases CodeRed, CRv1)

    CodeRed.B (aliases CodeRed [v]2, CRv2)

    CodeRed.C (aliases CodeRedII, CodeRed [v]3 and now CodeRed III)

    Perhaps the above makes it clear why a structured taxonomy is a good
    thing.  The reason AV has included the third of these worms in the
    CodeRed family is that, although there is little (or no) code
    continuity between it and the earlier pair, it would just be too
    confusing to name it differently *and* enough different from
    "CoedRedII" and the security folks would call it that anyway and as
    much as possible we do not name malware after its writer(s) nor with
    the name its writer(s) wanted/intended.  (Yes, there are many
    (historical) "exceptions" to those last two "rules", but some of us
    are working on correcting that for future namings...)

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.