RE: MSIIS servers patched/de-doored, but C and D keep coming back

From: Garreth Jeremiah/Markham/IBM (gjeremiaat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 16:17:55 PDT

    Thankyou to all who replied.  I am recommending that the device be re-built
    - even before posting.  Just needed to see if there was anything special
    going on.

    Well here is what I mean - we moved an (apparently) uninfected device into
    an isolated lan and infected it there.  System was cleaned, including all
    back doors and reg. code.  However it appears that the /d and /d affects of
    virtual rooting the IIS server remain persistent across boots - even though
    we cleaned them.  I am suggestng to the team that the re-image the machein,
    however I found this very weird.  Of all devices tested so far there are
    approx 6 that have this occur ( mostly French Version of Win2k - not sure
    if we have an english version that is affected this way ( yes it was
    patched withthe french patch )).

    Possible Causes: - decreasing liklihood

    1)   Another worm/virus
    2)   Weird interaction between HW/SW and patch ( plus any 3rd party sware )
    3)   previously unseen sideffect of CRII
    4)   CRx

    Possible Resolution:

    1)   Check all of those damn "Run/RunOnce/RunExec" registry settings
    2)   Down the machine - reboot with NTFS capable boot disk - replace
    system.dat(/da0) and user.dat etc.
    3)   stop messing around and grab the backup CD. - R.E.L.O.A.D

    It will be interesting to see if anyone else experiences this problem
    though.

    Garreth J Jeremiah.