Code Red II hit in July???

From: Booke, Raymond (Raymond.Bookeat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 16:15:19 PDT

    I know we've beat Code Red into the dirt, but I was examining a compromised
    system that was compromised in July.  According to our IIS logs, the Code
    Red II worm infected this box on July 25, which is a long time before it was
    announced.  After patching the box on the 27th of July, we figured that all
    was well because we had heard nothing of the Code Red II yet.  The remnants
    left behind by the worm are a bit different than the current Code Red II
    though, the root.exe was on the box in the location the worm puts it, but
    there was no trojan explorer.exe, and none of the other backdoors were
    present.  I have put the log entry below showing the exploit.  Has anyone
    seen anything like this?

    2001-07-25 18:30:35 192.172.226.20 - removed for privacy 80 GET /NULL.ida
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=X 200 -

    Raymond Booke MCSE, CCNA, Net+, A+
    Perimeter Security Analyst
    Global Data Security Group
    raymond.bookeat_private