Re: scans for root.exe

From: Daniel Harrison (danielhat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 10:51:35 PDT

    From the outside to confirm if it's code red or some other variant could be tough.
    I am not sure off the top of my head what would be the best method. Scanning for
    root.exe obviously is going to show machines that are infected by both
    sadmin/unicode and code red. Although the sadmin one defaces index.htm/.asp and
    default.htm/.asp so you could search for multiple things. I also think that the cr
    v1 included a specific defacement that could help you determine which worm is the
    culprit.

    If my looking at the packet traces from the eeye scanner are correct, they are
    looking for the server to puke back an error code that matches "0xc0000005", this
    error is seen on both NT and W2k machines . A patched machine will spit back
    "Error 0x80040e14 caught while processing query."

    -dan