Re: What if CodeRed encoded it's HTTP requests?

From: Jose Nazario (joseat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 08:39:40 PDT

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Nuno Mendes wrote:

    > I was just checking how many CodeRed I and II attempts I had on my
    > Linux based Apache server, and figuring out what if a new version of
    > the worm encoded 'degault.ida' in hexadecimal? Or even the data that
    > causes the buffer overflow?

    check out whisker and ADMmutate, both of which use encoding to obfuscate
    the strings they send. they help kill signature based IDS work. and more
    than hex, unicode, with even more possibilities.

    http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/
    http://ktwo.ca/

    jose nazario						     joseat_private
    	      	     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
    				       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)