Re: Do you know any Day 0 hacks use port 139? (fwd)

From: Jason Spence (thalakanat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 18:07:16 PDT

    On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 03:01:33PM -0600, Blake McNeill developed
    a new theory of relativity and:
    > My first guess would be that your seeing the effects of SirCam.  In addition
    > to being spread by email SirCam once installed looks for open file shares on
    > other machine on the network to infect.  It does this by check port 139.  If
    > you like, I have been keeping statistics concerning Red Code and SirCam on
    > my local @Home providers and have posted the resulting graphs on
    > http://members.home.net/mcneillb/.  SirCam first showed up on our local ISP
    > on July 19th or 20th and has been very persistent since then with anywhere
    > from 15 - 45 probes a day to my system.

    That's weird, because @Home has filters set up for TCP 137-139 and 445
    on my subnet that just drop the packets on the floor:

    Port       State       Service
    21/tcp     open        ftp
    25/tcp     filtered    smtp
    42/tcp     open        nameserver