Re: 24 hour strobes from 10.0.x.x

From: Konrad Michels (konradat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 01:05:55 PDT

    I was even more perturbed when I called the support line of my upstream
    provider and the response was "huh?" and, after putting me on hold for a
    while, "Sorry, there is nothing we can do about it from here - call your
    account manager"!

    What our account manager was going to do about it was a little beyond
    me, but I called her anyway.  Her line was busy, so I left a message and
    have still not been called back!  Surprise surprise!

    Given the raft of problems we've had with our upstream provider to date,
    I can't say the response was unexpected.

    Unfortunately, I inherited the firewalls when I got here, and while they
    are fairly decent ones, they have a windoze only gui (even though the
    firewall itself is a customised version of Linux & ipchains), which only
    allows me to deny packets and not drop them.

    I was busy configuring a Linux box with iptables yesterday to put
    between the router & the firewall to create a black hole for the
    packets, but just before I finished, the attack stopped!  Go figure!

    Graham Bignell wrote:

    * Please note that I will not be in the office     *
    * on Friday 24 August.                             *