Re: Smurf Broadcast DoS attack

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 11:38:14 PDT

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:35:14 +0200, X <falkenat_private>  said:

    > This mail could open a discussion about the Internet insecurity, how to
    > avoid this attacks, possible solutions, possible ways to analyze the
    > results.

    A noble idea, but discussion has already been started, quite some time
    ago:

    http://www.sans.org/topten.htm
    http://www.sans.org/dosstep/index.htm
    http://www.sans.org/ddos_roadmap.htm

    http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/documents/  has stuff on DDOS.

    Richard Steenbergen has some thoughts:
    http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/projects/dos/dos.txt

    The Lighthouse project done by MERIT for Darpa:
    http://www.eecs.umich.edu/lighthouse

    Also:

    >I understand that there are other DARPA funded efforts working on
    >different aspects of the DOS problem (automatic detection, trace back,
    >counter measures).
    >
    >Take a look at "Networking & Distributed Systems" under
    >
    >      http://www.darpa.mil/ito/ResearchAreas.html
    >
    >In particular see:
    >
    >      http://www.darpa.mil/ito/psum2000/J032-0.html
    >      http://www.darpa.mil/ito/psum2000/J910-0.html
    >      http://www.darpa.mil/ito/psum2000/J028-0.html

    The DANTE people in the UK were also working on some in-house things,
    but I don't know if those were ever published.

    You'll notice that those are all links to OLD stuff.  The conclusions
    to draw are pretty obvious..
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Operating Systems Analyst