Re: Smurf Broadcast DoS attack

From: Avleen Vig (incidenthandlingat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 07:46:06 PDT

    Please have a look at:
        http://www.ircnetops.org/smurf
    It's the home page of the SAFE project which I run. Can you see if any
    of the IP addresses that attacked you are in the database?
    If they are I will jump on the admins. They've been told at least twice
    that most of them are running open amplifiers.

    Thanks,
    Avleen Vig

    On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:35:14PM +0200, X wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Yesterday, one of the servers I admin. was attacked by a broadcast massive
    > ICMP's. The typical 'smurf' attack.
    >
    > I am working on discover who did it:
    >
    > During the attack, I loaded tcpdump and redirected its output to a
    > logfile to study and analyze it later.
    >
    > Once I had the log at my hands, I took perl interpreter and wrote several
    > scripts to search some evidence, like ICMPs made from the attacker to test
    > the ping response or with other words, to know the sharpness of his/her
    > attack.
    >
    > All the IP's that sent the ICMP packets, were not alone, I mean that they
    > were in a serie of IP's, that is: B, C internet network classes -->
    > broadcasts. All of them were from other countries. I continued looking for
    > some evidence.
    >
    > I found a clue when I saw some ICMP echo's to the victim's IP coming from
    > a national ISP. That is a subscriber IP from that ISP, perhaps the
    > attacker.
    >
    > I think that way because if I was the attacker, I would make some ping
    > to the victim to see if he is knocked out. Perhaps the attacker didn't
    > think that I was logging, or that I would be unable to find his IP.
    >
    > I have to tell you that the attacked server has not any service, it is not
    > known by anyone. I use it to develop and test software. It is an old
    > SGI Indigo 2. So it has not any traffic to/from outside my network. That
    > brings me to suspect that this national-ISP IP was the attacker.
    >
    > I attach to this mail the list of IP's, some of them resolved, that sent
    > the broad ICMPs.
    > I contacted my frame-relay provider and sent them the details of the
    > attack.
    > I also contacted the suspect ISP and told them that IP and the hour it
    > happened.
    >
    > This mail could open a discussion about the Internet insecurity, how to
    > avoid this attacks, possible solutions, possible ways to analyze the
    > results.
    >
    > Nothing more,
    >
    > luck!
    >

    > --
    >
    > Xavi Torres <adminat_private>
    > Administración de sistemas
    > Krypton Networks S.L.
    > http://www.kryptonetworks.com/
    > http://www.area66.com/

    Avleen Vig, Systems Administrator
    Email: avleenat_private               Mobile: (07974) 100 573

    Internet Vision                                Tel: 020 7589 4500
    60 Albert Court                                Fax: 020 7589 4522
    Prince Consort Road                            infoat_private
    London. SW7 2BE                         http://www.ivision.co.uk/