RE: Weird Incoming IP's and port numbers.

From: NESTING, DAVID M (SBCSI) (dn3723at_private)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 14:47:43 PDT

    This looks to me like a badly configured HTTP server farm.  You're probably
    hitting a web site that passes the request back to a set of servers using
    RFC1918 addresses.  These servers should in theory either proxy their
    results back through the same path, or be NAT'd back to the source IP that
    you were attempting to connect to.

    I've seen this pretty frequently with a few web hosting companies.
    Fortunately the connection attempt keeps retransmitting and I eventually get
    through to a server that responds from the correct source IP.  Every time
    I've noticed this I've e-mailed the provider and have never gotten a
    response.  I don't recall the name of the site, but it was reasonably
    high-profile.  I wonder if it's the same provider you're hitting.

    Does this sound consistent?

    David