Re: Win32.Invalid.A@mm

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 16:20:38 PDT

    Ryan Russell <ryanat_private> wrote:

    > http://www.centralcommand.com/aug30.html
    >
    > Anyone seen a copy of this, yet?  It's another worm that purports to be a
    > Microsoft Advisory, this one about an invalid SSl certificate.

    As already discussed on focus-virus, this is a media event, not a
    virus event.  Perhaps Central Command's sales have been down this
    quarter and they felt they needed a publicity boost?

    By the time Central Command issued its press release, and thus well
    before any of the major media outlets picked it up, the mail server
    this thing is hard-coded to relay through had been "fixed" to prevent
    (externally sourced) relaying so its distribution mechanism was
    broken and the treat averted (apart from however many copies may
    have already been posted and waiting in mailboxes for the unwary to
    run and thus unlease the EXE-crypting payload).

    MessageLabs' statistics suggest that a trifling handful of people may
    have been affected by it before the mail relay was stopped.  As I
    write, there have been fewer than 8 detects on ML's current day
    counter (which could mean zero -- they list the "top ten" and tenth
    place was Hybris.D with 8 detects), none in their September "Threat
    List" and none in their August "Threat List".  Despite that, private
    communication from ML suggests they did see a very small number over
    Thursday/Friday.

    Regards,

    Nick FitzGerald