Re: Code Red - A Possible Origin?

From: Michael J. Cannon (dedmikeat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 14:36:59 PDT

    This is probably a thread that needs to relocate to a new forum.  I
    checked the purpose statement of this list and we are running outside
    that purpose, and have for many days.  The thread is interesting, but
    it is currently misplaced.  We either need to end it or relocate it.  I
    propose the thread be relabelled "Cyber-Terrorism - In Search of
    Reality and Definitions (WAS: Code Red - A Possible Origin?)" if we
    wish to continue, and find a new place to post.

    The purpose of my original post was to show the list and some of the
    lurking, but interested subscribers a bit about how and what (although
    not in a forensically or truly functionally valid way) some of the
    processes are in the hunt for someone who takes it into their mind to
    write code that is destructive to systems that don't belong to them.
    In doing so, I had hoped that others would go on the hunt with me and
    that we would find other sites claiming responsibility and either
    publicly point out the perpetrators/co-conspirators or put the lie to
    the claims and show people how that was done.  That didn't happen, and
    we degenerated into side comments on some of the points I'd made in
    what I thought was going to be my last post on the subject.  The
    degeneration, as noted above, is valuable, probably more so than the
    original thread in my mind.  But it is out of scope.   I take most of
    the blame for that, as my original comments were also.

    My comments on "cyber-terrorism" and "information warfare" as terms
    beginning to enter the common vocabulary were aimed at the fear I have
    that more freedom will be taken from people as a result of what is
    actually a failing in the computer industry because of our laziness and
    greed.  Touchstone issues have a way today of being used as copy for
    the PR vampires and pseudo-journalists to tout new products, sell
    airtime and column-inches and generally pervert the discussion.  I
    suppose it's the nature of the "profession" of journalism these days
    that rather than doing adequate research, checking facts and sifting
    for conflicts-of-interest and the other things that would have caused a
    traditional journalist to run from a story, modern journalists look for
    the 'angle' that might get them a shot as the chief meat-puppet on AOL-
    TimeWarner.  Just look at what has happened to CNN Headline "News," if
    you want a real-world example.  These folks need us to define terms for
    them that will allow them to further adrenalize the world conciousness,
    further stress people, and, as a result, sell more soap and fizzy water.

    MY touchstone for incidents of the nature of Code Red and SirCAM is to
    remove "cyber" "info" and "e-" from the descriptions of the incident
    and then ask myself the incident is truly an act of terrorism or war.
    It is the same criterion I use when evaluating the business plans of
    new technology companies that I am looking at as an investor.  If it
    doesn't make sense as a business, than it doesn't as an "e-business."
    Likewise, if it is not an act of terror, war or a crime, then appending
    a "cyber" "info" or "e-" doesn't make it one.

    Michael J. Cannon
    Ubiquicomm
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum."