Re: Terroristic attacks today

From: Geoff Galitz (galitzat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 13:04:45 PDT

    My view is even if the folks who did carry out today's attack
    do not use the Internet as a vehicle for further action, others
    will.  Wether it be in revenge for the attack, or other groups
    or individuals "spurred" to action by the events of the past
    day and coming weeks.

    Some of us are probably higher profile targets than others.
    Major research universities, DOE and research labs,
    and anyone who may be thought to be connected with
    foreign policy in the slightest way come to mind as folks who
    should on the look-out.

    In fact, we just cleaned up a few machines that had been
    breeched last night which did get me to wondering about
    today's events.

    Don't forget that we in the US have a few loose cannons
    ourselves, and this list is an international list.  Any potential
    fall-out will not be restricted to US sites.

    As always, practice good judgement, vigilance and common
    sense.

    -geoff

    On Tuesday, September 11, 2001, at 12:45 PM, Rich Puhek wrote:

    > Has anyone seen, or does anyone anticipate any security threats on the
    > Internet or Internet-based attacks on any given targets in connection
    > with this mornings terroristic attacks on the World Trade Center and the
    > Pentagon?
    >
    > I hadn't considered the possibility, assuming that parties that would
    > fly planes into buildings aren't likely to be interested in writing
    > viruses. We did have one customer voluntarily disable their Internet
    > connection for the next 24-hours out of concern for "viruses". They said
    > something about a warning from the FBI. The FBI's website is apparantly
    > unreachable (or overloaded) at the moment.
    >
    > --Rich

    > Rich Puhek
    > ETN Systems Inc.

    Geoff Galitz                               |
    UC Berkeley                             |             D'oh!
    galitzat_private   |