Re: Run a mail host with a public MX record? Seeing large numbers of bounces?

From: Richie B. (richie@NO-SPAM-HERE.com)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 01:50:04 PDT

    Andrew van der Stock wrote:
    > The scenario is this: SpamInjector talks with the victim mail host.
    > The victim mail host will accept the mail, but there's a problem. The
    > response from the victim box causes spam to the spam recipient, but
    > of course the victim host's fingerprints are all over it.

    I see what you are saying. Nasty scenario to prevent.

    > Anyone else seeing this? We've been tossing around mechanisms to stop
    > it, but all the alternatives break compliance with the RFC, and will
    > certainly cause mail lists to be far less useful.

    I haven't seen it myself, but most mailinglists use this feature to remove
    non-existing addresses from their subscribers list. If you want to make
    this abuse of your mailserver totally useless, make sure that the bounce
    only includes the appropriate headers, and not the body of the original
    message. This way it will be quite hard for the spammers to get their full
    message accross.

    -- Richie