Re: NIMDA has a built in timer? No hits lately

From: Sevo Stille (sevoat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 16:56:42 PDT

    David Kennedy CISSP wrote:

    > I started getting hit @ 13:09:55 UTC this morning.  My sensor have
    > not been touched since 19:15:10 UTC this afternoon.

    Well, in the 212 netblock it is still going on, even though the rate has
    been  approximately halving every hour for the last two hours. The last
    hit so far was at 23:48:31 UTC. Originally, about 10% came from all over
    the /8 I'm in, but for the last hour, it has been all from my /16.

    > Hypothesis:  It's exhausted the IP space that would touch my IP's

    Only possible if the scans expire after a period of time roughly
    matching a fast bandwidth - otherwise, I'd expect scans from boxes with
    ISDN connectivity to continue long after high-bandwith machines have
    finished. In any case, it seems to scan extremely fast, and  as I saw a
    decline on the sources outside my /16 rather than a growing number,
    /8-scanning seems to stop at some time before it can possibly be finished.

    By the way: So far, I have only been hit by one single instance of the
    full Nimda pattern from outside 212/8 (and that machine may have had
    another interface in 212, its ISP has netblocks in 212) - the initial
    infection spreading across netblocks will probably have used a different
    pattern, or I'd have expected at least a few odd hits preceding todays
    outbreak.

    > or
    > it's turned itself off (if so will it turn itself on tomorrow ~1300
    > UTC?)

    Hardly by UTC, as it is still going on in the RIPE address space I'm in.
    It could act on local time, or, more likely, it might be time fused to
    stop after some period of activity.

    Sevo