RE: Nimda repair problems

From: Tom Smit (TSmitat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 09:42:32 PDT

    We've found this to work:

    stop all services possible
    use a virus scanner that cleans the virus from a remote machine on all
    volumes
    do a second scan and you shouldn't get any hits
    double check the system.ini and wininit.ini for entries noted (we didn't
    have them)
    power off instead of shutdown (the memory resident part seems to infect
    something on the shutdown)
    I powered up disconnected from the network and logged in locally, everything
    seems to be fine.
    Installed anti-virus software and scanned again, everything was clean.
    double checked that the apps (explorer/iexplore) on the server still worked
    (they did)

    Now I'm starting the process of re-applying service packs, hotfixes etc.