IE 5.5 SP2 incident

From: Jose Romeo Vela (jrvelaat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 06:48:44 PDT

    I came across something that make me think that IE 5.5 SP2 is still
    vulnerable to NIMDA.

    Although, I hardly use IE since I prefer Netscape, I still have IE on
    my PC. I updated my IE 5.5 to SP2 to avoid the vulnerability and I
    decided to test it. It is my understanding that the patch does not
    automatically store files sent by an exploit such as NIMDA's. I look at
    my web server logs ( Linux/Apache, It rocks! ) and pick one of the ip
    address that are tryin to hit me, I opened Netscape with this URL and I
    get esked if I want to save the readme.eml (as expected). I try the
    same thing with IE 5.5 SP2 and my Anti-virus goes bananas with
    instances of NIMDA in the cache directory.

    IE 5.5 SP2 never asked me if I wanted to save the file. Appearently MS
    in their infinite wisdon, caches the file right away.

    When the AV kicked in several infected files got delete, however it
    failed to delete one file indicating that it could not be found in the
    directory. I then went looking for readme.exe and readme.eml and I
    could not find any instances. However, there was a file called
    readme[1].eml in the cache. The AV does not bitch about this file.