Nimda on Mac?

From: johan.augustssonat_private
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 03:22:22 PDT

    I recived a mail from a Mac user that claimed that Nimda has infected
    Macs and started to distribute the worm via mail. The user refered to a
    post at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com where Mike Breeden claims that his
    Mac was infected. How is this possible? I can understand that the IE for
    Mac has the same MIME bug as the one for Windows, but how could Nimda
    start an SMTP engine for Windows on a Mac to distribute mail?

    On all the lists and sites that I have read about Nimda not a single one
    mentions Mac as a potentiell target.
    What is true?

    *** FROM THE WEBPAGE ***

    Mac Outlook Express Vulnerable to Nimda Worm: -
    Some of you may already know this, but after just previewing an email
    today that an attachment sent by the Nimda worm noted in Tuesday's news
    , I have gotten bounced email notices (for mails I never sent) and a
    note that some email "from" me had the readme.exe (worm's) attachment.
    This mail was not actually sent by me (nor are copies in my sent items
    folder)- but searching with Sherlock found copies of "readme.exe" in the
    Outlook Express temp folder. (No .eml files were found however, I also
    searched for invisible files.)

    I've disabled the preview pane and added a Rule to automatically delete
    any email that has a readme attachment, and suggest you do so also, at
    least until Microsoft has a fix for Macs. (There's no updates to NAV for
    this nor does NAV find anything from a scan.)
    Beware of any emails with attachments, especially if the subject line
    has scrambled text (may not be typical, but was for the email I have
    seen). I get tons of email every day, often with attachments but I'm
    going to be much more cautious now. This happened on my main work
    machine, a PowerBook G3 running OS 9.04 with IE 5 and Outlook Express
    5.02. (In case anyone gets an email from "mikeat_private" - delete
    it. I never send email from that address.)

    /Johan Augustsson