RE:New Version of Retina Nimba Scanner

From: John Stauffacher (stauffacat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 10:13:08 PDT

    All,

    I just ran this scanner and am picking up more false positives than real
    infections. Not only did it pick up all my Macs (they arent even running
    Dave or have any SMB shares), it picked up my indigo and my Snap Server
    (tell me how a snap server gets infected by this?). I realize that
    diagnosing these things is a shot in the dark - but, telling me "open
    guest share" when the machine is not sharing anything (or even listening
    on 139) is kinda a mis-nomer an a cause for panic (130 "infected" out of
    253 possible)...anyone else seen this kind of false positive from the
    scanner?

    -John Stauffacher

    ! John Stauffacher        !
    ! Network Administrator   !