RE: New Version of Retina Nimba Scanner

From: bparisat_private
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 13:09:41 PDT

    I'm seeing false positives from boxes that are sharing our their attached HP
    printers.

    Although the false positives were a little annoying, the tool did reveal
    some shares that were infected with Nimba that we had first missed with
    other tools.

    William S. Paris
    Telecommunication/Network Analyst
    Sorrento Lactalis Inc.
    bparisat_private

    I just ran this scanner and am picking up more false positives than real
    infections. Not only did it pick up all my Macs (they arent even running
    Dave or have any SMB shares), it picked up my indigo and my Snap Server
    (tell me how a snap server gets infected by this?). I realize that
    diagnosing these things is a shot in the dark - but, telling me "open
    guest share" when the machine is not sharing anything (or even listening
    on 139) is kinda a mis-nomer an a cause for panic (130 "infected" out of
    253 possible)...anyone else seen this kind of false positive from the
    scanner?

    -John Stauffacher