Re: Tracking down the still infected hosts

From: Kyle R. Hofmann (krhat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 12:28:49 PDT

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:24:49 -0500, Tina Bird wrote:
    > According to Ryan Russell (who's been analyzing the
    > worm code), Nimda doesn't honor redirects - it just
    > checks the response it gets from a Web server to
    > determine whether or not the server is vulnerable.
    > It doesn't follow redirects.  So what does this
    > actually accomplish?

    Actually, I'm not sure it accomplishes anything.  I read the post saying that
    redirecting Nimda to 127.0.0.1 killed it or slowed it down, and I wrote and
    posted my redirection tool before I spent a lot of time watching Nimda's
    reaction to it.  Now that I've let it run overnight, I'm convinced that it
    doesn't do any good.  Nimda traffic on my machine has actually gone up,
    because now it doesn't stop--it just keeps pounding on me, gleefully ignorning
    the redirects.  I've gotten about 1.44 HTTP connections per minute in the
    past six hours, primarily from two persistent machines, whereas yesterday,
    before I had written my tool, I got about 0.391 connections per minute spread
    out among a half-dozen or so machines.  Since none of this is legitimate
    traffic (my machine hasn't run a web server in half a year), for machines
    that don't run web servers it's clearly less effective to send redirects than
    to simply refuse connections.  I suspect that the same is true for web
    servers, as well.

    --
    Kyle R. Hofmann <krhat_private>