Re: Tracking down the still infected hosts

From: Josh Burroughs (jburrougat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 16:00:30 PDT

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Dale Lancaster wrote:
    > However I am seeing new log entries that I haven't seen before:
    >
    > [Tue Sep 25 16:33:41 2001] [error] [client 199.26.11.171] File does not
    > exist: /some/where/html/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc
    >
    > It may just be some misconfiguration in our site, but the shtml.exe seems to
    > point to something else since we don't use .exe stuff on our site.  These
    > are flooding my site, but we get lots of them over a day.

    That's what it looks like when someone using MS Frontpage tries to
    connect/upload a web site to a server with frontpage extensions installed.
    If the IP's connecting are from inside your org find the offending users
    and hit them with a stick ;-> Or setup redirects to goatse.cx, I'm not
    sure if the frontpage client will honor a redirect but it'd be funny as
    hell that has the intended effect ;->

    -Josh