Re: Hacked using vulnerable FTP daemon. -- next steps

From: Paul Tan (paul.tanat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 19:26:33 PDT

    Hi again,

                    We suspect it is a disgrunted ex-employee who did this,
    because after more forensics, this particular cracker had posted some
    strong words directed to a particular someone on the company's web
    server. He got first in on Sept 22, then proceeded to download some
    binaries (eg. su.c bsd.c ftp-god.c remv ,etc....) from a ftp host in
    indonesia. He tried to use one of these scripts to remove entries from
    utmp. but i managed to get a printout of it. also a long history of
    commands he issued. He tried to deface the website with some childish
    "So and so wuz here" kinda stuff. Unfortunately for him, luckily for us,
    it didn't work out too fine as most content is being cached in a reverse
    proxy so i guess no one saw it. he proceeded to post some content on the
    company's website directed to the boss of the company. and then altered
    the access logs of apache.

                    Singapore has very very severe laws on crackers. They
    have been many crackers that had been sent to jail and given a handful
    of whips too. However, i'm not too sure on Cyber Laws in Indonesia. My
    friend is not keen on prosecuting this cracker/ex-employee/whoever, but
    he just wants to know for sure that it is that guy who did it and then
    speak to him about this cowardly act.

                     Well , maybe i still have to contact the ISPs after all
    to see what they can do to help me out on this case.

                     For those of you who want to see the logs / binarys,
    whatever. It may contain some very sensitive information, so i'm not
    sure if i should release it because there maybe some not so honorable
    folks in this list that want the juicy information in logs to do not so
    honorable stuff.... : ) . It will be case by case that i release it, ok?
    Hope i didn't cause any unhappiness.

                     Currently, I'm setting up a new web server to replace
    the compromised host. Implemented a firewall, and will review the rest
    of his infrastructure. This is my first time doing forensics on an
    actual compromised host and it's very exciting. : ) Thank you for all
    your advise. Will keep you guys updated.

    Rgds,
    Paul Tan