RE: Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility

From: Tracy Martin (tracyat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 11:25:35 PDT

    Let me toss in my perspective as an "end user"...

    I would rather have my ISP call me up and say "You've got something on your
    system that's sending out crap - get it off or lose your connection. Call me
    back before close of business today and tell me which it's going to be" than
    to have them implement filters and possibly mess up my connectivity with
    them.

    And, in simple point of fact, the above has happened to me. I got caught out
    with something (don't know what it was, don't care what it was) in late June
    / early July and got the call above. I took all my local systems off the
    network, and formatted and reinstalled them, then put data back from backup
    as needed. I told the ISP when they called what I was going to do, and they
    were fine with that. So, it took me a weekend of working to get everything
    back in place, and updated with all the latest patches (including the ones I
    had missed). Small price to pay to learn what I should have already known,
    and to keep my connectivity open so that *I* can decide what comes into my
    network, not someone who I will never see face-to-face.

    Of course, we all know that "Great Aunt Sadie" will likely not be able or
    willing to do this, so providing a choice would be great. But make sure the
    choice is available, please.