Re: [RE: Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility]

From: Jason Robertson (jasonat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 13:32:15 PDT

    As I have said before and I will say again and again and again..

    Being a former ISP Admin (luckily I am not one anymore), I have always been an admin, that was
    quite willing to curtail the clients abilities, for the sake of security.  In my case I did Firewall ports of
    less then 1024, I did run network sweeps for various trojans, and for proxy servers, I did test those
    proxy servers, for vulnerabilities.  And I made sure to place it within the Terms of Use.  Also in our
    Terms of Use, was the content that limited our liabilities for illegal content, or abuse of our
    systems.  We also added to our firewall, one simple rule, all ip packets must contain one of our
    local IP Addresses, this right there eliminated possible spoofs, as well as smurfing, though if I had
    time I would have placed the rule on the terminal servers instead.

    And for people who were vulnerable, they were notified to resolve this problem, and I would give
    them pointers on where to get what they needed (which was a local website in this case, but damn
    MS they almost totally killed this option, with windows update)
    For People running servers, if they were on low ports I didn't pay attention, mainly because they
    were ineffective, unless their machines were doing something they shouldn't be doing, like
    sending out spam, and in this case the account was disabled.
    For People who were attempting to use our network for abuse, the account was disabled, and
    depending on the type of abuse, would also allow for what type of reaction, such as calling in Law
    Enforcement or not.