Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility - Laying responsibility where it belongs

From: Fred Cohen (fcat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 15:54:47 PDT

    I have read this discussion with great interest, but I put it to you
    that the responsibility for threats, vulnerabilities, and consequences
    in this case can hardly be laid on the users.

    For years the ISPs have decided to try to act as common carriers and
    taken no responsibility for preventing forgeries of all sorts.

    For years software manufacturers have taken time to market as more
    important than quality of products - with security running very logw on
    the list.

    For yuears those who teach people how to program have only taught
    minimal functionality and nothing of substance about assurance or
    quality.

    For years the government has refused to try to enforce liability laws
    against providers of all sorts for the damage caused by their poor quality.

    For years users have bought what the ads said worked at the lowest price
    they could get it for.

    For years the doctrine of self-defense - which has existed in the
    physical world since forever - has not been applied to cyber systems.

    For years the authors of these things have gone untracked and unpunished
    because we did not want to take the necessary steps as a matter of
    public policy.

    In my view, the responsibility for NIMDA lies clearly in Microsoft's lap
    and the lap of the author, but there is plenty of blame to go around.  I
    say forget about telling the ISPs what to do - start a class action suit
    against Microsoft for putting this crap into the market knowing full
    well how it might be exploited and knowing full well that it was
    choosing time to market over quality.  The class is all users of
    Microsoft IIS servers and every person who has a system that has been
    affected by the virus.  The dmages are the total cost of all actions
    taken to defend against or monitor this infection, in cluding all time
    taken by all parties involved.  Put them out of business unless and
    until they can act responsibly.

    FC
    --This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
    Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
    fcat_private		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
    http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087