Re: Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility - Laying responsibility where it belongs

From: Neil Dickey (neilat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 08:54:51 PDT

    Fred Cohen <fcat_private> wrote in part:

    Note:  In what follows I am not a MicroSoft partisan.  I'm just following
    reason to see where it goes.

    >I say forget about telling the ISPs what to do - start a class action
    >suit against Microsoft for putting this crap into the market knowing
    >full well how it might be exploited and knowing full well that it was
    >choosing time to market over quality.  The class is all users of
    >Microsoft IIS servers and every person who has a system that has been
    >affected by the virus.  The dmages are the total cost of all actions
    >taken to defend against or monitor this infection, in cluding all time
    >taken by all parties involved.  Put them out of business unless and
    >until they can act responsibly.

    There is a certain resonance to this, as when the environmentalists rush
    to the barricades shouting "death to the oil companies," but upon reflection
    reality rears its ugly head.  True, the oil companies have done some serious
    polluting and behaved themselves in a profoundly irresponsible manner, BUT if
    we shut them down outright then you can flip your switch all the day long
    and the light will stay dark.  There won't be any plastic to make your
    Reeboks, shirt, really cool sunglasses, CD player, or even the CDs themselves
    out of.  Think of it:  NO INTERNET.  Nope, no can do.

    Human beings have two needs:  Food and shelter.  The internet is not one of
    them.  It is still possible -- many do it -- to live out one's life without
    ever "going online."  People go to the internet because they *want* to.  Just
    about everyone who will ever read this post has a job because people *want*
    to go on the internet.  Suing MicroSoft out of business won't solve anything
    because a huge amount of the business of the internet is carried out with
    MicroSoft products and we really shouldn't cut off our nose to spite our face.
    The reason that MicroSoft has such a huge share of the market is because rank
    beginners can make their stuff work.

    The automobile did not turn us all into mechanics.  It made us into people who
    can put a key in a slot and turn it.  Bill Gates knew this.

    Anyone who has ever done programming knows that the last 10% of the debugging
    takes 90% of the time.  If it were necessary to wait until a package has
    reached perfection before releasing it, nothing new would ever come out.
    That said, do I think MicroSoft has released software prematurely, even by
    my standard?  Yes, I do.  Do I think that they sometimes sit on bugs and
    security holes on the philosophy that anonymity equals security, or out of
    sheer corporate laziness?  Yes again.  Do I think that Microsoft has behaved
    itself at times rapaciously and with a profound lack of responsibility?  Yupper.
    Review my comments about oil companies above.

    Get used to it, folks.  It isn't right, but it is how things are.  You want
    the internet?  The rest follows.

    Best regards,

    Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
    Research Associate/Sysop