Re: Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility

From: terry white (twhiteat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 16:29:42 PDT

    on "9-27-2001" "Luc Pardon" writ:

    :    I'd like the opinion of the list on the attitude of ISP's versus
    : worms. It is clear that we're going to see more of this.

    ... having read all current responses to this question, it seems like
    'treating the symptom' the default choice.  couple of things to consider
    here.

        (1) this 'readership' assumed the wherewithall to deal with security
    issues.  that expertise, when coupled with the ability to chastise those
    not having it, clearly an error.

        (2) M$ targets users that have no interest in security issues.
    'blaming' that user for (a) what they do not know, or (b) may never be
    able to comprehend, just so much crap.

        (3) M$ 'has' to be the ultimate locus of a solution to 'their' flawed
    software.  leaving it to 'their' customers, a cruel irony.  maybe M$
    could invent something like a "Windows Update" kinda thing ...

    --
    ... i'm a man , and i can change ,
        if i really have to , i guess ...