RE: Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility - Laying responsibilit y where it belongs

From: Silcock, Stephen (stephen_silcockat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 16:38:51 PDT

    > In my view, the responsibility for NIMDA lies clearly in
    > Microsoft's lap
    > and the lap of the author, but there is plenty of blame to go
    > around.  I
    > say forget about telling the ISPs what to do - start a class
    > action suit
    > against Microsoft for putting this crap into the market knowing full
    > well how it might be exploited and knowing full well that it was
    > choosing time to market over quality.  The class is all users of
    > Microsoft IIS servers and every person who has a system that has been
    > affected by the virus.  The dmages are the total cost of all actions
    > taken to defend against or monitor this infection, in cluding all time
    > taken by all parties involved.  Put them out of business unless and
    > until they can act responsibly.

    You should read the agreement you (and everyone else) just clicks "Agree" to
    whenever you install a piece of software (not just MS).  I am not a lawyer
    but as far as I can tell it means "You accept that you are paying for this
    product as is and we make no guarantee that it will be secure, reliable,
    compatible, works as advertised or will even work at all"

    This is standard throughout the software industry, and no other industry in
    the world is allowed to operate under these terms.  Anyone know whether
    clicking that Agree button removes all your rights to legal recourse?  I
    would've thought it would; that's why they put it in.

    S.   :)

    PLEASE NOTE:

    This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the
    addressee.  If you are not the intended addressee, you must not use,
    disclose or print this transmission and you should delete it from your
    system.