Re: FBI Virus Alerts

From: Big Woz (angrybobat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 17:38:59 PDT

    On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 05:03:26PM +0000, twistsiwtat_private wrote:

    > Has anyone else heard these reports?  If it is true, we could have an
    > even larger epidemic on our hands.  I know everyone this list has
    > their patches upto date though right?  =)  As well all know though,
    > new explouits are released everyday so be vigilant people & keep an
    > eye out.  I would expect Cardinal to lie about this kind of thing to
    > their customers...

    I don't see any information on http://www.ciac.org/ciac/ which is where
    I would go for online validation.  I have not seen anything on the lists
    that would imply an oncoming wave of attacks.

    Also, I'm not aware of any major holes that haven't been exploited by
    recent worms, if one _assumes_ that joe-average-admin has patched his
    server then variants of the same should be relativley ineffective.

    Not that I have a problem with a nice healthy paranoia, just saying that
    I haven't seen any reputable rumors (if such a thing exists) to give me
    the impression that such a landslide is on the way.

    --adam