ssh scans

From: Chad Mawson (CMAWSONat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 13:42:52 PDT

    I vaguely remember seeing something about this a month or so ago, but I
    don't remember any details.  I am getting attempts 1-2 times a day from
    different IP addresses on TCP port 22.

    nmap returns this:

    Port    State       Protocol  Service
    21      open        tcp       ftp
    22      open        tcp       ssh
    23      open        tcp       telnet
    80      filtered    tcp       http
    5001    open        tcp       commplex-link

    I can't get a telnet, or http response, but ssh and ftp do.  FTP - (not
    trying to log in, just getting the headers) shows:

    220 ArrowPoint (5.3.1) FTP server ready
    Name (216.34.77.12:root):
    331 Password required
    Password:
    530 Login failed.
    Login failed.
    ftp> quit
    221 Thank you for visiting. May the remainder of your day be filled with
    joy.

    I also can't find any good info on the port 5001, I'm assuming these
    systems have been compromised, but I'd like to make sure before I start
    trying to contact anyone.

    Thanks

    Chad Mawson
    Woods & Aitken LLP