Re: FBI Virus Alerts

From: Chris Salter (securityfocusat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 04:14:13 PDT

    In article <3.0.5.32.20010928222108.05228d70at_private>, dated Fri,
    28 Sep 2001 at 22:21:08, David Kennedy CISSP <david.kennedyat_private>
    writes
    >At 08:38 AM 9/28/01 +0200, info wrote:
    >>[Viruses & Worms] Sophos and Trend Micro report a "severe outbreak"
    >>of a variant of day before yesterday's W32/Vote-A alias
    >>Win32.Vote.A@mm, W32.Vote.A@mm, that deletes files from infected
    >>hard  drives.
    >
    >Except neither Sophos nor Trend are reporting a severe outbreak:
    >
    >http://www.sophos.com/
    >       Click on the links for the three Vote variants and they report just
    >one report of Vote.A and zero of Vote.B and zero of Vote.C
    >
    >http://wtc.trendmicro.com/wtc/
    >       Neither the real-time nor the daily include any flavor of Vote
    >
    >Message Labs reports zero Vote.

    This prompts me to ask a question that I have been meaning to ask for
    sometime. My apologies if it has been addressed before. Are these report
    statistics published by the AV vendors accurate representations of virus
    activity in the field? I can see that during the period before
    definitions have been updated, the reports may give some indication of
    the virus prevalence. However, how many AV customers report viruses
    successfully detected and dealt with? Do the AV vendors have a
    representational sample of their customers reporting *all* viruses? Are
    just corporate customers providing stats? I am assuming of course that
    automatic definition updates processes aren't collecting such
    information without the customers permission!

    Chris
    --
    Christopher P Salter              mailto:securityat_private