Re: Posting to Incidents list, was: Re: Help with Nimda.E?

From: cambriaat_private
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 13:28:55 PST

    The way I interpreted HC's post, he was not referring to the perennial full-disclosure debate.  He was pointing out the risks of disclosing one's *own* potential vulnerabilities in a public forum.

    I think it's a valid point and one that inexperienced people may not fully consider before posting.

    You certainly do not want to post a message to this forum from the affected system saying "I just discovered that my port 5678 gives a root shell to anyone - what should I do".

    For this reason many people post from email accounts that cannot easily be correlated to the system they are discussing.  Also, logs showing actual IP addresses are often "sanitized".  That is, the actual IP address of the potentially vulnerable system is replaced with something like "x.x.x.x".

    I think HC's message was a call for good judgment on the part of those who post here - a sensible recommendation that one not expose exploitable details of one's own system to a potentially malicious audience.

    Best regards,

    Greg McCann