RE: Posting to Incidents list, was: Re: Help with Nimda.E?

From: Steve (steveat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 19:06:52 PST

    I agree with this assessment.  Sometimes I get a good laugh over the
    posts that say things like;  "my server at <insert IP address here> is
    vulnerable to <insert exploit of the week here>, and I don't know what
    to do.  Anyone can read these posts, they are archived not only on
    SecurityFocus but on a half dozen other sites as well.  I really don't
    think this has to do with full disclosure, trust me, I am probably one
    of the biggest full disclosure flag wavers around these days but more to
    do with common sense.

    I have posted an incident (not my own but a clients) to this list in the
    past, with a hushmail account from my home PC dialed up to a free net
    provider and did not sign the post.  The information we all share on
    this list is very, very valuable, but because it is an open forum you
    need to be cautious as to what identifying information you leave behind.
    And don't take this as me saying that we need a closed forum, I am
    convinced that closed forums do not work.