RE: Firewall hits/unknown ports

From: Barber, Chris (cbarberat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 05:04:55 PST

    -->SNIP<--
    there are no such thing as stupid questions in this industry.
    -->SNIP<--

    I agree with one minor exception:  The only stupid question is the one that
    is not asked.  In grade school on through college, in all of the trade
    schools and Training /educational institutes there is one that I hear
    repeated over and over again.  I took count one time in a MS training class.
    It was a 5 day class from 8:00am to 4:30pm and the instructor asked the
    class at least 2 times every hour "Any questions?"

    Questions are the fundamental means of learning.  And these lists are a very
    good means of doing that.  If some one asks a question there are many
    reasons why they ask.  The good thing is that they are asking.  The better
    thing is that there are many people that have more experience out there that
    can help.  I myself do not have all of the answers (nor do I want them), but
    I love the thought that if I have a question I can go to the list(s) and ask
    it without being ranted, spammed, or otherwise, abused because some one
    thinks that my question is to broad or to revealing, or just plain stupid.

    Everyday some one writes a piece of code and gets unexpected results.
    Everyday there is a new entry in a log that some one has not seen before.
    Everyday some one learns something new because of a question asked.

    Please do not slam someone for a question they have asked, because that may
    be you tomorrow.

    *stepping down off the soap box*

    Chris.