RE: Nimda Infections

From: Neil Dickey (neilat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 09:03:12 PST

    My network is a relatively small one, in the scheme of things, but
    I have noticed that the distribution of nimda hits is not uniform
    on all the machines.  Those I have most to do with are unix boxes,
    and those which aren't running webservers have the web ports locked
    off at the firewall.  All of my machines but one, including both
    webservers, get nimda hits at the rate of one or two, maybe three,
    unique sources per day.  The remaining box gets a hit every six
    minutes or so from source IPs all over the world, and has more or
    less since the outbreak began.  ( I did the math, and that's the
    actual frequency. )  At one point I opened port 80 and used netcat
    to see that they were sending.  It is in fact nimda.

    There must be something non-random in the IP address generator that
    nimda uses, such that the address of this particular box pops out
    rather more than I could wish for.  They can't get in because the
    ports are blocked and it's the wrong OS, but my logs get huge and
    other traffic is obscured by the noise.

    By they way, I noticed yesterday that someone seems to be trying to
    get CodeRed1 going again.

    Best regards,

    Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
    Research Associate/Sysop