RE: MSLV.exe

From: Rob Keown (Keownat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 18:54:14 PST

    Here are the facts:

    1. I belive the host was compromised by CodeRed in September. Admin cleaned
    the system, but did not remove root.exe from IIS's INETPUB/scripts...this is
    how the exploit was accomplished.

    2. IDS software was installed on the host in late September.

    3. On 11/17 the system failed, was rebuilt (perhaps without IIS
    patches...not sure), but the IDS failed to start. This might be why the
    system was vunerable but unexploited until this time.

    4. Today a file called MSLV.exe was installed from a blackhat and appears to
    have code similar to SubSeven and Nimda. This is a very preliminary
    statement.

    5. Other reputable users on this forum requested the source and are
    disassembling it. One initial report that it is a valid exploit led to this
    post.

    6. We took a system snapshot of the system and are looking at logs. We
    removed the system from the network and cleansed it. Will monitor it
    closely.

    7.  This isn't a small- medium- or large- scale problem at this time. Just
    sharing some info.

    Will let you know if this is something we should worry about.

    Rob Keown