Forwarded mail....

From: Paul Rogers (airwoflat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 01:57:39 PST

    I have to say, what is the point? Is this a hoax or not, because it
    seems strange that it didn't go to Bugtraq or VulnWatch? If it isn't
    then how is everyone that works with in IT supposed to know if this is
    true and what conditions cause it to occur?

    You are only pampering to the wants of the big boys (or gals) and you
    will make life for IT staff employed by their own company to secure their
    systems / networks impossible, which may lead to:

    -> non-requirement for internal IT Security ppl
    -> requirement for external security company
    -> decrease in efficiency and understanding of the business risks
    associated with security
    -> possibly a lower level of security within organisations
    -> bigger bank accounts for the big IT Security players only
    -> which *could* lead to monopoly conditons

    So we all sit here for 60 days vulnerable to "something" not knowing what
    it is, what functionality the registry key mentioned offers users and
    hence what functionality will be broken by the modification - really
    useful for people who need to roll out security changes quickly.

    Me two-penneth worth.

    Cheers,

    Paul Rogers,
    Information Security Consultant.