Re: Possible Trojan/Virus: while.com.

From: John Sage (jsageat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 09:46:27 PST

    Jay:

    Just to take one word ("Attune") out of the excerpt, and do a google
    search on it, I found:

    http://www.aveo.com/support/index.htm#about1

    To quote:

    "What is Attune?

    Attune is a revolutionary service that provides you with targeted
    Intelligram messages, These can give you messages about products,
    services, or help  you avoid common computer problems. Attune runs
    quietly in the background and automatically updates it's Intelligrams
    when you are connected to the  Internet. These messages are then
    displayed when needed, such as if you are about to encounter a situation
    that is known to cause problems."

    "How did I get Attune on my computer?

    You may have received the Attune software through one of many
    distribution   partner companies. These companies include AskSam, Aveo
    Inc., Canon Software, Corel, Cosmi, Dell Computer, E-Color, evesham,
    Four Dits, GetRight, Guildhall, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, iCD Publishing,
    ID4 Limited, ItsAllFreeSoftware, Kensington,  Logitech, McAfee,
    Paramagnus, Radiate, US Robotics, WeatherBug, WebHelp and Xoom."

    So, at least "Attune" seems to be one of these wonderful new "helpers"
    that run in the background on Window$ boxes, and "help" users...

    "Click the "Download Attune" button to download the AttuneŽ software
    (750 KB) to your PC. Please follow the on-screen download and
    installation instructions. After Attune is installed, it will
    automatically update itself when you are connected to the Internet with
    the latest information and tips to help keep your computer system
    trouble-free"

    Yeah.. I'll bet...

    HTH..

    - John

    Jay D. Dyson wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > 	I received an unusual spam complaint from one of my users here.
    > What's unusual is that I'd not heard about this payload before.  While I
    > haven't had time yet to give the payload more than a cursory look, my gut
    > tells me the following is a trojan or worm either deliberately or
    > unintentionally disseminated by an AOL user (using a forged bellsouth.net
    > address).  Also of import is that the user who sent this beastie was using
    > Microsoft Outlook (as if that isn't a big enough warning sign).

    heh..