Re: solaris nscd cores

From: Greg A. Woods (woodsat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 19:06:35 PST

    [ On Saturday, December 1, 2001 at 14:57:38 (-0500), mikeDOTd wrote: ]
    > Subject: Re: solaris nscd cores
    >
    > 	I saw a number of nscd crashes thursday-friday on my sun.
    >
    > 	I have a full core, and initially I see this:
    >
    > Core was generated by `/usr/sbin/nscd'.
    > Program terminated with signal 9, Killed.
    > #0  0xef7563d8 in ?? ()
    >
    > 	If I find anything else I'll post to the list.

    There are a couple of things majorly wrong with this picture.  So far as
    I know the only way a process will ever get "signal 9" (SIGKILL) is if
    someone running with the same privileges as the process, or as the
    superuser, manually sends it.  Also so far as I know you'll never get a
    core dump from a SIGKILL, at least not on SunOS.

    Either your debugger is lying, or something's really broken worse than
    it appears (could ncsd have sent itself SIGKILL?).

    --
    							Greg A. Woods

    +1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoodsat_private>     <woodsat_private>
    Planix, Inc. <woodsat_private>;   Secrets of the Weird <woodsat_private>