Re: Attacks against SSH?

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 14:16:22 PST

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Jason Baker wrote:

    > I took a quick look around and didn't see the exploit code, is there
    > anyone who can confirm if debian with ssh 1:1.2.3-9.2 is vulnerable?
    > (Or point me at the exploit and I'll test myself)

    You can test for the vulnerability in rather trivial way, as described in
    our original advisory. You need to use OpenSSH client that does not
    truncate usernames, and then try the following:

    ssh -l`perl -e '{print "A"x90000}'` someserver -v

    If the connection is dropped with no error message (and the daemon dies
    with signal 11) after establishing a connection and exchanging keys but
    before password prompt, you are vulnerable. If it gives you password
    prompt, you are not vulnerable.

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =-=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=-=
              http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/