Re: Port 113 requests?

From: Florian Weimer (Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 09:45:35 PST

    "Slighter, Tim" <tslighterat_private> writes:

    > From: Chris Wilkes [mailto:cwilkesat_private]

    >> In my firewall I've setup this rule to handle these requests:
    >> 	-p tcp --dport 113 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
    >>
    >> In short, nothing to be concerned about.

    > you really should try and specify that the rule "drops" instead of reject so
    > that the potential intruder is not provided with any information about their
    > attempted connection.

    This is completely misguided advice.  Following it results in
    substantially increased delays when delivering SMTP mail to those
    hosts which perform identd lookups before accepting mail.

    --
    Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE
    University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/