Re: Anonymous FTP annoyance

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 01:47:53 PST

    "Bryan Smith" <bryanat_private> wrote:

    > Also, now that I would like to clean this up, I find that I cannot
    > delete the folder "com1".  No ACL information is found in the properties
    > for the directory and it's not read-only.  Somehow the tool created a
    > "permanent" folder.

    The real "problem" here is that the directory name matches a device
    pseudo-filename.  In theory, such names cannot be used for real file,
    and hence directory, names.  In reality -- well, you've seen the
    evidence with your own eyes...

    > What can be done to clean this up?

    The Posix file utilities are reputed to deal with such files and
    folders (are they still shipped with Win2K?) and, depending on the
    actual filename and the version of the OS you may find that the
    humble "?" (but not "*") wildcard works with the standard Windows
    commandline tools.

    Also note that the filename may *not* be the apparent (illegal)
    "com1" but something like "com1" followed by one or more invisible
    characters such as space, FFh, etc.

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.