Re: Voluminous SSHd scanning; possible worm activity?

From: Florian Weimer (Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 14:44:57 PST

    "Schroeder, Eric" <Eric.Schroederat_private> writes:

    >> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Schroeder, Eric wrote:
    >>
    >> > There was a recent vulnerability discovered in RedHat's OpenSSH. I
    >> > have included the RH notice on the fix.
    >>
    >> 	Thanks...but, um...I'm running Solaris 7.  So far, none of my
    >> boxen seem to have been successfully penetrated; just scanned until they
    >> squeal.

    > True, but the people scanning don't know what OS you are running until they
    > scan you.  I'll also be willing to bet that most of them are automated,
    > which won't take into account different OS's.

    For what it's worth, the bug is present in Solaris, too (unless
    /bin/login is linked statically and cannot be affect by environment
    variables in any way, that is).

    However, this is not a remote problem per se, it's impact is the
    possibility of a local root compromise, so I wouldn't scan to exploit
    this vulnerability.

    Maybe we're seeing some psychological effect here: In the past, people
    tend to believe that SSH implementations were secure, apart from a few
    rather esoteric defects without much practical relevance.  Now we've
    been shown that this isn't true, and people start to fill their
    databases with mappings between IP addresses and SSH implementation
    identification strings.

    BTW, are there any free SSH implementations apart from the OpenBSD
    one?

    --
    Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimerat_private-Stuttgart.DE
    University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/