Distributed Scans?

From: E. Larry Lidz (ellidzat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 13:03:52 PST

    Hello,

    Starting slightly over a week ago, we've started seeing what looks like
    coordinated distributed scans. We've seen four or five of them come
    across our class B in that time. Each time, somewhere around eighty
    systems scan our network. Each IP seems to scan about a thousand
    machines on our network, all within the same basic time period (within
    a few minutes of each other). The scans have either been for ftp or
    ssh.

    Normally, I'd expect that it was the nmap decoy mode. However, three
    things seem to indicate that this isn't the case: first, the scans have
    complete TCP connections -- full handshakes are made. Second, each IP
    is scanning a slightly different part of our network. Third, we've
    reported some of these to the sources and gotten confirmations that the
    machines we saw the scans come from were compromised.

    I'm guessing that there's a new tool out there. Anyone else seeing
    this sort of activity? Anyone have a copy of the tool?

    -Larry

    ---
    E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: (773)702-2208
    Sr. Network Security Officer                         Fax:   (773)834-8444
    Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
    PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml