Re: SSH Attempts: Link to RedHat?

From: John Oliver (john.oliverat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 16:17:57 PST

    Gregg Sperling wrote:

    > Early yesterday, I received a single connection attempt on three of my
    > Linux-based direct connected Internet servers:
    >
    > Dec 16 01:56:08 srvr001 sshd2[42]: connection from "24.5.243.0"  (ip
    > address blocked to protect user)
    > Dec 16 01:56:09 srvr001 sshd2[6969]: Local disconnected: Connection closed
    > by remote host.
    > Dec 16 01:56:09 srvr001 sshd2[6969]: connection lost: 'Connection closed by
    > remote host.'
    > Dec 16 01:56:40 srvr002 sshd2[41]: connection from "24.5.243.0" (ip address
    > blocked to protect user)
    > Dec 16 01:56:41 srvr002 sshd2[10007]: Local disconnected: Connection closed
    > by remote host.
    > Dec 16 01:56:41 srvr002 sshd2[10007]: connection lost: 'Connection closed
    > by remote host.'
    > Dec 16 02:02:41 srvr003 sshd2[44]: connection from "24.5.243.0" (ip address
    > blocked to protect user)
    > Dec 16 02:02:42 srvr003 sshd2[13440]: Local disconnected: Connection closed
    > by remote host.
    > Dec 16 02:02:42 srvr003 sshd2[13440]: connection lost: 'Connection closed
    > by remote host.'
    >
    > I ran some diagnostic tests on the IP address listed, and found it to be a
    > RedHat based Linux system with several ports open,
    > including HTTP, Telnet, FTP, X11, and "others."
    >
    > I connected to the website connected to this server, and found somebody's
    > personal webpage.  I found their email address, and sent the
    > owner an email.
    >
    > Surprisingly, I have had several pleasant exchanges with the individual who
    > runs the server.  He has offered to allow me access
    > into his server with root access.  I'd like to find out what breach, if
    > any, caused this connection attempt.

    This sounds like someone who ought to be using a free website and POP
    account.  If they have, indded, been r00ted, you'll never be able to
    tell by logging in... any useful tools will be Trojaned to hide the
    intruders' stuff.  His only option would be to a) take the machine
    off-line, mount the disk read-only under a known-good OS (like a freshly
    installed box), and start poring through logs and directories looking
    for evidence.  But if he's offering a complete stranger root access to
    his box, he probably knows how to turn it on and that's about it.  So b)
    reinstall the box from scratch, apply all patches, disable all unneeded
    services, secure everything else, *then* connect it to a public
    network.  But then, he'll just fall victim to the next root exploit that
    comes along unless he learns an awful lot more about computer security,
    keeps up on his patches, etc.

    I would tell him to pull the Ethernet out Right Now, and then start to
    worry about what to do and how to do it.  That'll prevent the inevitable
    future abuse.  It's totally irresponsible to leave a machine that's
    almost certainly been compromised connected to a public network.

    --
    John Oliver
    System Administrator