Re: SSH Attempts: Link to RedHat?

From: jon schatz (jonat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 16:26:49 PST

    On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 15:50, Gregg Sperling wrote:
    > Surprisingly, I have had several pleasant exchanges with the individual who
    > runs the server.  He has offered to allow me access
    > into his server with root access.

    you're kidding me.

    > Besides checking the standard /var/log/messages log, are there any
    > suggestions as to where I should check for possible breaches
    > in this individual's system?

    i'd check the integrity of the installed rpms:

    	[jon@devotchka jon]$ for i in `rpm -qa`; do rpm -V $i; done

    i'd also look for recent additions in /dev (which seems to be the
    directory of choice for rootkits):

    	[jon@devotchka /dev]$ ls -tla|more

    in fact, you could check file mod times on the whole system to be
    totally sure.

    i'd also check what ports were open on the local machine, who was
    currently connected, and what actual processes were responsible for
    those ports:

    	[jon@devotchka /dev]$ netstat -na --inet
    	[jon@devotchka /dev]$ lsof |grep LISTEN

    now the bigger problem is that someone who admins a public linux box
    would offer root access to a (basically) complete stranger from the
    interweb. you stated that he had ftp + telnet open (amongst others). RH
    hasn't enabled telnet by default in a while (i believe ssh has been the
    default since 7.0). So we're most likely looking at a box running
    outdated software run by an inexperienced admin. not a particularly hard
    target from a script kiddie pov. then again, maybe you'll find the
    fabled openssh2 remote exploit...

    hope this helps.

    -jon

    --