Re: Microsoft's Early Xmas Present.

From: David Kennedy CISSP (david.kennedyat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 21:39:23 PST

    At 10:04 PM 12/29/01 -0700, Ryan Russell wrote:
    >I'm starting to think more and
    >more that a 3-month expiration date on Windows is a good idea.  If you
    >haven't patched in 3 months, then your machine will refuse to do anything
    >but download patches...

    After watching all the NIMDA hit's we're still seeing, this idea has some
    appeal but I also seem to recall a great hue and cry from the digerati when
     DCMA and UCITA were interpreted to include a "remote kill" function a
    software publisher could trigger that sounds a lot like this.  Think back
    to July and September, would we *really* want anyone to have the ability
    turn off IIS all over the world in response to Code Red or NIMDA?

    I might even suggest Windows has an expiration of sorts, who hasn't
    re-installed the OS on 9x just to improve preformance on a box that's been
    in use over a year?  Have we (those of us complaining about it) been urging
    MS to tweak Windows' performance and reliability in the wrong direction?
    --
    Dave Kennedy CISSP Director of Research Services TruSecure Corp.
    http://www.trusecure.com