Re: Microsoft's Early Xmas Present.

From: Steve Stearns (sternoat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 09:04:07 PST

    On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 09:16, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
    > On 29/12/01 22:04 -0700, Ryan Russell wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > normal people to keep up on patches is.  I'm starting to think more and
    > > more that a 3-month expiration date on Windows is a good idea.  If you
    > > haven't patched in 3 months, then your machine will refuse to do anything
    > > but download patches...
    > I second that idea. I don't think it will be implemented however, unless
    > the installer allows for that. Then again, I don't like my machines
    > updating themselves without my permission. (Yeah, I'm the geek that
    > knows what I'm doing and keeps stuff patched on my servers. Thankfully
    > I'm not the LAN admin, but I usually get to fix infected machines before
    > the LAN admins can get to figure out that they are infected by a worm
    > that yesterdays antivirus patch won't fix).

    Another issue to consider is those people who are on dialup accounts.
    If there's a number of patches that are going to take hours to download
    and I need to get work done right now, that "feature" becomes a big
    problem.  This creates user antipathy for security which is the last
    thing you want.

    ---Steve